Ferrellgas Wants You To Winterize Your Home
As winter approaches, Ferrellgas, America's premiere propane provider, wants to remind its propane customers to make sure their home is ready for the cold months ahead.
These simple suggestions can help keep a home safe and warm, and lower your energy bills as well.
- Heating systems need regular tune-ups. Have your heating system, including venting systems, checked annually by your local propane supplier or other qualified service technician.
- Replace your furnace filter monthly.
- Keep your thermostat set at a constant comfort level – generally 68-70 degrees Fahrenheit – or consider installing a programmable thermostat to regulate your home’s temperature when you are not there.
- Protect against drafts around windows and doors by caulking and weather stripping.
- Turn down your water heater from the standard 140 degrees Fahrenheit to 130 degrees Fahrenheit. This will help save more than 10 percent on your water-heating bill.
- Extend your water heater’s life and increase energy efficiency by following manufacturer’s instructions for draining your water heater every six months to remove lime deposits and sediment.
- If your water heater is near the end of its live, consider installing a propane-powered tankless water heater. Tankless units significantly reduce the amount of fuel needed to heat your water.
- Install flow-restricting showerheads. You can reduce hot water usage by up to 50 percent without affecting shower pressure.
- Repair leaky faucets. A leak that fills a coffee cup in 10 minutes wastes 3,200 gallons of water a year.
Contact your local Ferrellgas propane service office for more ways to make your home more energy efficient this winter.